It’s June, and it’s hot. Only 88° F. today, down from 95° yesterday. But it’s Sunday, and as always, lunch is a favorite meal. This time, it was inspired again by dinner at Cava in Portsmouth last night, an excellent tapas and wine bar.
Here is the short and sweet summary. I took out my two favorite grill pans and proceeded to use them for an assortment of vegetables, some fresh, some leftover. In succession I made a tapas plate with:
- a few grilled asparagus
- a couple of eggplant slices, grilled
- three pieces of plump red Greek roasted peppers
- baby golden beets (steamed yesterday, finished on the grill with oil, salt and lemon )
- freshly picked arugula from my raised-bed garden
- reheated broccoli rabe, crisped slightly in the pan
- a leftover block of tofu, marinated in olive oil and hoisin sauce, then grilled
I also toasted a half of a pita bread, to scoop up some of the hummus I made a couple of days ago, and served it all with a 2012 Villa Creek Rose (70% Grenache, 30% Mourvèdre). A few small cubes of Greek feta cheese completed the plate, part of the almost-vegan ethic.