One of my unique food finds in NY was a package of Gnocchetti Sardi, a pasta from Sardinia. I found it at BuonItalia and purchased the one which included the spinach and tomato pasta doughs.
I made up my own recipe, and it was excellent.
- boil gnocchetti in salted water until al dente
- dice carrot, onion and potato, and sauté them in olive oil in a large pan
- in a separate pan, sauté chopped chanterelle, shiitake, and soaked dried porcini mushrooms; add crushed, dried Sicilian rosemary; add salt and pepper
- when mushrooms are browned, add stock and boil off, then add white wine and reduce
- chop and blanch a handful of kale leaves, about 3 minutes, depending on age, until just tender
- combine sautéed vegetables, mushrooms, kale, and the gnocchetti in the sauté pan, add a handful of pitted, chopped Taggiasche olives, a little more olive oil, and sea salt (preferably from Ibiza), and cook two or three minutes until the flavors are well-blended.
Relish this beautiful and satisfying dish alone or with friends. Buon appetito!